Traveling with Care at the Indiana Dunes
The Indiana Dunes is more than just a pretty place. We are 9,000 years of indigenous culture, stunning scenery, tight-knit communities, and thousands of acres of adventure-filled wilderness. We are excited to share this unique place with you and ask that when you visit you take care of our environment and support our local communities. As you get to know the Indiana Dunes, we encourage you to travel with care.
The Travel Care Code encourages travelers to travel in ways that reduce the negative impacts of their travel – and contribute positively to the destination communities they visit. We see a future where every trip makes the world better.
The Travel Care Code
1. Learn about Your Destination – Enjoy a rewarding experience by learning more about the natural environment, culture, and history that make every destination unique.
2. Don’t Leave Your Good Habits at Home – While traveling, continue to recycle; use water wisely, and turn off lights as you would at home.
3. Be a Fuel-Efficient Traveler – Book direct flights, rent smaller cars, and keep your own vehicle operating at maximum efficiency. Once at your destination, walk or bike as much as possible.
4. Make Informed Decisions – Seek out destinations or companies that engage in energy efficiency or recycling programs and that take actions to preserve their communities and natural environment.
5. Be a Good Guest – Remember that you are a guest at your destination. Engage with locals, but respect their privacy, traditions, and local communities.
6. Support Locals – As a visitor, the money you spend on your trip can help support the local artisans, farmers, and business owners whose livelihoods depend on tourism.
7. Be Waste Wise– Leave a beautiful place for others to enjoy. Recycle where possible, and always dispose of your waste with care. Avoid single-use plastics where you can.
8. Protect Your Natural Surroundings – Be mindful of the plants, animals, and ecosystems that you impact. Avoid feeding wildlife; stay on designated trails, and strictly follow all fire restrictions.
9. Make Your Travel Zero Emissions – As an additional step, consider the option of purchasing carbon credits to fully offset your travel’s impact on climate change.
10. Bring Your Experiences Home – Continue practicing your sustainable habits at home, and encourage friends and family to travel with the same care.