Take the Indiana Dunes Pledge
The Indiana Dunes receives millions of visitors every year. Impacts from our individual actions add up quickly. What you do while hiking and enjoying the Indiana Dunes matters. Your choices are important and they affect the beaches, wetlands, prairies, ponds, forests, Lake Michigan, and other dunes ecosystems.
Put the Indiana Dunes Pledge into Action by promising to visit with care:
- I will be mindful when I hike and stay on designated trails. Our fragile plants and animal habitats don’t like to be trampled on!
- I won’t litter on the trails or beaches. I will Leave No Trace.
- I will care for animals and other living beings and will stay a safe distance from wildlife.
- I will be careful in and near the waters of Lake Michigan. This means listening to lifeguards, reading posted safety signs, and educating myself about rip currents.
- I will respect the history, culture, and nature of the Indiana Dunes and will not remove anything except trash.
- If I bring my pet, I will use a leash and clean up after them. I promise to help keep pets, wildlife, and other visitors safe by staying in designated pet areas.
- I will carry a reusable water bottle and recycle my trash.
- I’ll be patient during busy times and help reduce overcrowding by exploring the many locations throughout the Indiana Dunes.
- I’ll always park in designated areas and not leave my vehicle idling.
- I’ll share what I learn about appropriate care and stewardship of the Indiana Dunes on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- I will stand up for the parks by informing authorities if I see someone damaging resources or endangering people or wildlife by calling:
National Park – 1-800-PARK-TIP (1-800-727-5847)
State Park – 219-926-1952