- Trip Ideas
- Activities & Adventures
- Top 10 Lists
Gateway to the Dunes
From its humble beginnings as the home of a local fur magnate to its current status as a natural wonder, Porter has always been known as a family-friendly area. Its most influential historical citizens—Joseph Bailly and the Chellberg family—were so captivated by the area’s beauty that they made their homes here. You can visit their properties and see what life was like in early Porter—just head to the Bailly Homestead and Chellberg Farm sites of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.
Porter’s a great place to live and raise a family with beautiful parks, beachfront property, and small-town charm (with the most restaurants per capita of any town in Indiana Dunes Country). Think of it as a casual place to catch some rays, ride some bikes, and enjoy some great food.
Things to do in Porter:
- Splash in Lake Michigan, play beach volleyball, or and soak up the sun’s rays at Porter Beach.
- Enjoy all that Hawthorne Park has to offer, including a disc golf course, sports fields, and quiet spots for fishing and watching birds along the Little Calumet River.
- Feast on the ribs at Wagner’s Ribs. If you’re in the mood for a Mexican dish, try Santiago’s downtown or Leroy’s Hot Stuff on U.S. 20.
- Stop by Biggs Violin Shop (where Richard Biggs, one of only 200 master luthiers in the world, makes and restores fine instruments and their bows) and Sleepy Hollow Leather for top quality leather work.
- Hang around downtown and watch trains chug through town.
- Stop by the Indiana Dunes Visitor Center located on State Road 49 for more information about the dunes and our surrounding area.