- Trip Ideas
- Activities & Adventures
- Top 10 Lists
Classic Midwest Charm
Imagine the quintessential Midwestern farming town, and you’ve got a pretty good idea of what Kouts looks like. Driving in, you pass vast green and yellow fields sprinkled with barns and silos. Then you’re on Main Street, with its local restaurants serving up everything from hearty breakfasts to great pizzas. As is befitting a farming town, you’ll notice that everyone knows everyone else here, and visitors don’t remain strangers for long.
Whether you’re chowing down on some locally raised pork, visiting locals’ homes at the Kouts Annual Christmas Open House, or browsing wares at the community garage sale, there’s always a sense of friendliness and community that surrounds you.
Be sure to enjoy some ice cream and pork burgers at Birky’s Bakery & Market.
Things to do in Kouts:
- Launch your boat, kayak, or toss a fishing line into the Kankakee River from Dunn’s Bridge County Park.
- Shop for locally raised pork and other meats, as well as homemade baked goods at Birky’s Bakery & Market in downtown Kouts.
- Grab a bite to eat at one of the great restaurants or pizza parlors along Main Street — like Cronies Charhouse & Gin Mill and Main Street Pizza Plus, or head out to Baum’s Bridge Inn for outdoor dining, steaks, and chops.
- Celebrate everything pig-related at the super-fun Kouts Pork Fest each August.
- Relive the history of the Kankakee River at the Aukiki River Festival each August.
- Shop for unique, handmade crafts by visiting all the homes, businesses, and organizations that sell their wares during the Kouts Annual Christmas Open House each December.
To learn more, visit KoutsIndiana.org.