- Trip Ideas
- Activities & Adventures
- Top 10 Lists
- 3 Dune Challenge For Athletes
- Fishing Listings Details
- Are You Up For The Challenge?
- Lake Michigan Trail
- Pizza Wars
Imagine the quintessential Midwestern farming town, and you’ve got a pretty good idea of what Kouts looks like. Driving in, you pass vast green and yellow fields sprinkled with barns and silos. Then you’re on Main Street, with its local restaurants serving up everything from hearty breakfasts to great pizzas. As is befitting a farming town, you’ll notice that everyone knows everyone else here … and visitors don’t remain strangers for long.
Whether you’re chowing down on some locally raised pork, visiting locals’ homes at the Kouts Annual Christmas Open House or browsing wares at the community garage sale, there’s a sense of friendliness and community that surrounds you.
In the summer, be sure to enjoy some ice cream at The Depot of Kouts, a charming shop set in an old railroad depot.
Do it in Kouts
- Launch your boat or kayak or toss a fishing line into the Kankakee River from Dunn’s Bridge County Park
- Shop for locally raised pork and other meat, as well homemade pies, local fruits and vegetables at Birky Family Farms Country Market, located just north of town
- Grab a bite to eat at one of the great restaurants or pizza parlors along Main Street — like Cronies Charhouse & Gin Mill, Country Folks Pizza, George’s Koffee Kup, Main Street Pizza Plus or Brieli’s, or head out to Baum’s Bridge Inn
- Celebrate everything pig-related at the super-fun Kouts Pork Fest each August
- Relive the history of the Kankakee River at the Aukiki River Festival each August
- Shop for unique, handmade crafts by visiting all the homes, businesses and organizations that sell their wares during the Kouts Annual Christmas Open House each December