- Trip Ideas
- Activities & Adventures
- Top 10 Lists
An Art-Centric Community
Being an artist living in the shadow of the Indiana Dunes is like a designer living next door to Frank Lloyd Wright—it’s almost impossible not to be inspired to create your own works of art.
That’s probably why Chesterton is home to a surprising number of artists—like Holly Jackson and her vibrant, Matisse-inspired paintings, which she sells at her downtown studio , Craig Berg and his Indiana Dunes photography, which can be purchased at his restaurant, Duneland Pizza and Dunes Photography, and several other regional artists whose works can be found at the Chesterton Art Center.
Chesterton is one of the best towns in the area to find dunescapes and other art pieces influenced by our gorgeous, national ecological treasure.
Even beyond its art scene, Chesterton is a place to enjoy festivals annually, the renowned European Market from May to October, and unique restaurants and shops year round.
Things to do in Chesterton
- Enjoy great food and a relaxing dining atmosphere at three restaurants located near one another in the heart of Chesterton: Lucrezia Café, Ivy’s Bohemia House, and Octave Grill (voted the best Burger in Indiana Dunes Country during Indiana’s Cool North Burger Wars).
- Get the best breakfast in all of Indiana’s Cool North at Northside Diner, the 2018 Breakfast Wars Champion.
- After a long hike at Indiana Dunes State Park, let the carhops at The Port Drive-In, a 1950s-style drive-in restaurant, bring favorites like root beer floats, chili dogs, and Green River sodas to your car.
- Take a scenic hike or enjoy fishing, picnicking, and bird watching at the 151-acre Coffee Creek Watershed Preserve.
- Learn about the Chesterton area’s history by touring the Brown Mansion, checking out the interesting exhibits at the adjoining Westchester History Museum, and then purchasing a piece of history at one of the many antique shops in town.
- Sample artisan cheeses, indulge in fresh baked goods, select the freshest fruits and vegetables, or shop for one-of-a-kind jewelry, clothing, art, and gifts from May to October at Chesterton’s European Market.
- Shop downtown at unique stores like The Flower Cart, Chelle’s, Ashley’s Jewelry by Design, Ella’s Bella, and O’Gara & Wilson Ltd. Antiquarian Booksellers.