- Trip Ideas
- Activities & Adventures
- Top 10 Lists
An Artcentric Community
Being an artist living in the shadow of the Indiana Dunes would be sort of like a designer living next door to Frank Lloyd Wright. How could you not be inspired to create your own great works?
That’s probably why Chesterton is home to a fairly surprising number of artists — like Holly Jackson and her vibrant, Matisse-inspired paintings (which she sells at her downtown studio); Craig Berg and his Indiana Dunes photography (which can be purchased at his restaurant, Duneland Pizza and Dunes Photography); and several more regional artists whose works can be found at Chesterton Art Center.
Chesterton is one of the best towns in the area to find dunescapes and other art pieces influenced by our gorgeous, national ecological treasure.
Even beyond its art scene, Chesterton is a place to enjoy festivals and the renowned European Market from May to October, and unique restaurants and shops year round.
Do it in Chesterton
- Enjoy great food and a relaxing dining atmosphere at Lucrezia, Popolano’s and Octave, three restaurants located near one another in the heart of Chesterton
- After a long hike at Indiana Dunes State Park, let the carhops at The Port Drive-In, a 1950s-style drive-in restaurant, bring favorites like root beer floats, chili dogs and Green River soda to your car
- Take a scenic hike or enjoy fishing, picnicking and bird watching at the 151-acre Coffee Creek Watershed Preserve
- Learn about the Chesterton area’s history by touring Brown Mansion and checking out the interesting exhibits at the adjoining Westchester History Museum, then purchase a piece of history at one of the many antique shops in town
- Sample artisan cheeses, indulge in fresh bakes goods, select the freshest fruits and vegetables, or shop for one-of-a-kind jewelry, clothing, art and gifts from May to October at Chesterton’s European Market
- Shop downtown at unique stores like The Flower Cart, Chelle’s, Indian Summer Boutique, Ashley’s Jewelry By Design, and Ella’s Bella.