Memorial Opera House
104 Indiana Ave., Valparaiso, IN 46383
Phone: (219) 548-9137
Fax: (219) 462-2640
On the National Register of Historic Places, the beautiful, 364-seat Memorial Opera House was built in 1893 by the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) as a memorial to the county's Civil War veterans. The GAR wanted to create a memorial that would be useful to the entire local community, and this beautiful building has certainly fulfilled that mission. Over the years it has hosted such notable performers as conductor John Phillip Sousa and the Marx Brothers. In continual use since 1893, the Opera House has been a venue for theatrical events, as well as concerts, public meetings, weddings, funerals, presentations, school plays, and graduations. The most recent renovation of this historic building began in 1993 and was completed in the spring of 1998. The architects tried to make the renovation as historically accurate as possible, and added design elements that were common during the 1890s. Free guided tours are offered by appointment and are well worth the effort. Be sure to check their program schedule to see what productions are showing during your visit to the region.